Below is a list I started in 1995. It’s my sublimation of Personal Computer experience, I update this list quite regularly, feel free to bookmark jult.net/warez
Not everyone will need everything on it, and I use a lot more software than the stuff mentioned here, but this is the software I’m more than happy to know, use and really approve of. Sharing this knowledge would be a good idea, I guess.
for Windows o.s.
- Total Commander (Christian Ghisler) – it’s in my startup-folder, explorer users don’t know what they’re missing, who needs bloated Winzip or WS-ftp?
- 7zip plugin for TotalCommander! Many other great plugins for TC.
- WinRAR (Eugene Roshal) – best compressor on the planet
- Notepad2Mod (Kai Liu, Florian Balmer) – best notepad replacement ever, supports column block selecting etc. VERY fast, VERY configurable
- OpenOffice.org – It will make you forget all the other office suites. Exports to pdf as well.
- STDUviewer – still using Adobe’s monster? Try this PDF-viewer instead!
- Forté Agent (email and USEnet) – ideal for smart users, header-freaks, plain and fast for email, great for binaries too
- ERUNT – backup NT hives and stuff. Very useful for Windows NT/2000/XP recovery. Must have for the experienced Windoze user/admin.
- HxD (Maël Hörz) – Hex Editor and Disk Editor
- Autoruns (Mark Russinovich/Bryce Cogswell) – checks all autoruns, trim down Windows load
- JkDefrag (Jeroen Kessels) – very good free disk defragmentation and optimize utility
- Spybot S&D – top spyware and cookie cleaner
- ADS Scanner (Pointstone Software) – find/kill Alternate Data Streams with this great free tool
- Everything – administrative tool for very fast systemwide search, fast ftp/http serving and much more
- ThumbsPlus (Cerious) – much better and way more handy features than the standard Windows XP image viewer, also great for fonts (viewing and installing)
- ScreenHunter (Wisdom Soft) – perfect freeware for fast creation of printscreens/screenshots of selected area etc.
- Photoshop CS (Adobe) – OK, still better than The Gimp, sorry.
- µTorrent (Ludvig Strigeus) – the best bittorrent client alive today, to use with
cgaura NewArtRiot FXG demonoid isohunt torrentz latebyte tvtorrents rlslog etc. etc.
- PeerGuardian – for some peace of mind when you’re doing scary things
- HashCalc – splendid free file md5, sha2, hash, crc and hmac calculator
- ImgBurn – the best software to burn (lasermedia) images, like .iso .nrg .bin etc.
Audio & Video related:
- Daum Pot Player – YoungHuee Kang’s new project, best multimedia and HD player in the world!
- K-Lite Codec Pack – this is the one you need to play all (updates often!), also handy for Matroska/MKV container: the CCC pack
- QuickTime Lite (QT Light) – replace the Apple-pushed plugin
- HDConvertToX – convert your BluRay or HD (MTS/M2TS/AVCHD/TS/VOB etc.) to h264, XviD, DivX, x264 or WMV muxed as mp4/avi/mkv/wmv etc.
- VirtualDub and VirtualDubMod – amazing video filter/conversion AV re-sync/re-dub and cropping tools.
- ExactAudioCopy – a.k.a. EAC, the high-end audio-CD ripper
- Real Alternative – really don’t need the realmedia crap
- OggdropXPd – the easiest way to encode OGG files, I highly recommend the aoTuV release
- RazorL.A.M.E. – best stuff to encode high quality MP3 files
- TagScanner – process ID3 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4 tags, APE v1 and v2 tags, Vorbis Comments
- MP3Gain – level-change MP3 files without re-encoding
- mp3DirectCut – fast mpeg audio editing, a little complex, but does the job
- WinAMP – the best audio-player, and my skin
- SoundForge 9 (Sonic Foundry, now Sony) THE best audio editor around.
- Vegas Pro 8 (Sony) Best video-editor/audio tracks mixer around. Adobe Premiere pales in comparison!
- PuTTY THE ssh/telnet client
- TrueCrypt – On The Fly disk encryption/decryption
- Ultr@VNC – remote screen/desktop control, my support thing is based on it
- WinMTR – clone of popular Matt’s traceroute Linux program.
- Unlocker (Cedrick Collomb) – closes, kills and unloads any and all Windows processes (even trojans/viruses etc.)
- Angry IP scanner – don’t be mislead by its name, a reliable little Windows port-scanner.
- WinSCP – Secure SHell file transfer client
- UPX – the Ultimate Packer for eXecutables (and UNpacker
- Bootdisk (Petter Nordahl-Hagen) – need Administrator access to a blocked WinNT/2000/XP machine? This is your friend!
- UltimateBootCD – perfect collection of boot tools on one CD
- Bootdisks (the whole nine yards..) – ever needed to make a bootdisk for BIOS flashing etc. ?
- MHDD (Dmitry Postrigan) – bad sector repair, HD diagnostic tool
- HDHacker (Dimio) – simple and useful to save and restore MBR/boot sectors, or to low-level view them.
- MBRtool – easily Backup, Edit and do stuff with your MBR …
- CG-Security very useful data recovery and security stuff
- Explore2fs the WIN32 explorer for Linux ext2fs partitions, and rfstool to read (copy from) ReiserFSystems!
- wGetGUI & wget – the ultimate leechers
- bw_mod Ivan Barrera’s stable bandwidth controller module for Apache!
- DVD43 – find out what copy-protection is used on CD/DVD..
- IsoBuster – bust open img and iso files, recover broken CD-roms or DVD’s
- CD-DVD Speed (Ahead Nero) – Amazing free CD/DVD media quality tester
- AutoIt – Windows automation, great free tool to record keyboard+mouse actions into executable scripts
- NetStumbler – Network stumbler, scanning for wireless access..
- BackTrack – security and wifi exploiting linux live CD, leave no trace
For more security, pen-testing and sniffing-ware, check Oxid and Irongeek.
for Linux o.s. – mostly server-related
- CentOS is my favorite linux o.s. distribution by far
- wine – translation layer (a program loader) capable of running Windows applications
- webmin allround (remote) browserbased administration tool for your linux/unix system(s)
- Midnight Commander a.k.a. mc (fastest in handling files and editing text)
- Postfix the best MTA, easier and faster than sendmail
- Dovecot secure, fast, reliable IMAP server
- Squirrelmail php IMAP based webmail suite, try only the stable ones
- eAccelerator (mmCache sequel) double the speed of your php, optimizer
- DenyHosts – handy security tool
- ccrypt – secure file/stream encryption